Letter to my unborn daughter



As I write this, I am celebrating the sixth week of your existence in your mama’s womb. I am excited and confused at the same time. Am shook! Am I ready to be the most awesome father in the world? Hell, yeah! But wait, I have not yet chosen a name for you! This is the most difficult part so far. Should I name you after your mama’s favorite soap opera character “Maria Selina Rodriguez”, or after your stubborn-drunk atheist Auntie Auma? What happens if I gave you a masculine name? I could name you after my bald headed four-eyed raven friend-Onek and twist your initial to Anek. Wait a second, I have figured it out. I am going to name you after the Acholi spirit-medium who, as the head of the Holy Spirit Movement, led a millennial rebellion against the Ugandan government forces of President Yoweri Museveni from August 1986 until November 1987. Correct...Alice Lakwena. Damn, that woman had the balls and courage of six youthful kifessis and that is the character I want instilled in you!  

Apparently, my hustle has tripled. Well, I am already saving up for diapers and that tinned-baby milk. I have no extra room to paint for you but me, you and mama will be sharing the muzigo. In case, there is no space for a big baby (me), the couch will offer a remedy to the overcrowding. I have also bought some smooth baby socks and I want to be the one to take you for your first ear piercing. Oh, I might be busy looking for family bread but I want to witness your first word, your first smile, your first crawl, your first baby steps and well, clean you up after that poop too.  

How will I raise you? How will I introduce you to this gender-based society? How will they look at my girl taking on the big boys? Fear less little one, I am going to make you tough enough to take on any bully or stereo-type. We are going to run the world Alice.  

I haven’t yet mentioned this to anyone but your Uncles (Odeke, Onek, Onume and the mutooro one - I often forget his name...Musinguzi, that one. Yes!) are planning to spoil you terribly. They want us to hangout every weekend at pork joints, shopping malls and the beach but I told them to make their own daughters too. They should leave mine alone.

How is that side baby girl? I know you are lonely in there but I will be a few months till we unite as a family! Just hang-in their baby girl! 

Sweetly writing, as a father I swear to protect you fully and be there for you always.  

Your beloved daddy Okalebo! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts